Thursday, April 3, 2008

Calling Art Deco Fans

J.C. Leyendecker was a popular American illustrator during the first half of the twentieth century. He produced over 300 pieces for the Saturday Evening Post, Colliers, and Ladies Home Journal to name a few and was famous for the handsome man in his Arrow collar advertisements. The American government hired him to illustrate posters during World War I as did Kellogg's, Ivory soap, and Pierce Arrow automobiles. The style he popularized is still mimicked today by computer game developers and commercial artists. One place to view original oils of Leyendecker's work is the National Museum Of American Illustration in Newport, Rhode Island. In addition to the oil paintings are posters, magazine covers, and advertisements. The monogram J.C. Leyendecker used as his signature is as unmistakable as his monumental Art Deco style.

1 comment:

Sandi McBride said...

I love these old illustrations...I have an old book called Held's Angels that my Grandmother gave me...I love it and the Waterbabies...very nice!
Sandi