Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Baking Mixes


When it comes to baking, I'm a purist. No mixes, artificial ingredients, or Grade B anything. Only the best to be had goes into what I bake. That's the only way it's good enough for my family and worth the time it takes to do it well. The only thing that would make me break that rule is if someone I admire came out with a line of mixes with ingredients that make it taste like it doesn't come from a box. Well, it has happened. Ina Garten of the Barefoot Contessa cooking show on Food Network has baking mixes to die for. Her cookbooks have been on my shelf for years and her show is on our Tivo list, so I knew the mixes would be wonderful. We've tried the ones for brownies and coconut cupcakes with scrumptious results.
I highly recommend them as pantry staples, especially if you get lots of drop in company. I'm stocking up because with all four of my children back home for the summer, everyone is going to be expecting homemade goodies. And as much as I love to bake for them, the pool and book list are calling my name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorites on the Food Network. I made her coconut cupcakes a couple of weeks ago and they are Wonderful!!!

Laura said...

Thanks for the recommend! I was wondering if they were worth the extra they cost above usual mixes. I bake all my cookies from scratch, and sometimes brownies, but I also use cake and brownie mixes on occasion. I also have many Ina books on my shelves and shows in the DVR. I'll give one of these a try.

Best wishes,
Laura