Friday, August 22, 2008

Natty Nauticals

The first ever sailor suit was worn by the future King Edward VII when he was four years old. His mother, Queen Victoria, had it made for him to wear during a cruise through the Channel Islands in September 1846. By 1870 the sailor suit became normal dress for boys and girls around the world.
Here's Shirley Temple in her sailor suit.
Sailor suit paper dolls.

1930's Deco sailor suit pattern


School uniforms with nautical influence


Oooolala! Nautical looks on the catwalk look as fresh as ever.


And this was the winning design on Project Runway Wednesday night. It's a long way from little Prince Albert Edward.

4 comments:

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

How cute! When I first saw the title of the post, I was reminded of Runway, and so was happy to see this saucy pink suit in the story.

Sugar Bear said...

I loved that design on Project Runway! It was my fav. LOL.
Karla

Lori said...

oh, you are watching PR too!!! i am wondering who your favorites are...i love Suede, suntan boy, and that girl with the 40s vibe...i can never remember their names...*sigh*...that was quite the challenge huh?

Tonja said...

I don't get PR where we live, but we used to. I enjoyed it when we did. That nautical look is always so fresh and clean looking to me.
Not so sure I like the pink get-up...I just prefer it in the good ole blue and white.