Friday, January 4, 2008

Math Helpers


One of the precious children next door is a third grader trying to learn her multiplication tables. She showed me how she was writing them in lists to memorize them, which is a good method, but I thought she deserved a little more fun in her schoolwork .
On Jan Brett's website there are loads of great projects and tools for teachers and students. Jan is a gifted children's author and illustrator with titles such as Annie And The Wild Animals, The Mitten, and The Night Before Christmas to name a few.
I found math flashcards for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division and printed the multiplication set. All you have to do is fold and tape the cards and cut them to a size comfortable for little hands. They are illustrated with cute animals from Jan's books that give extra clues for memorization. I just popped them in a zip lock bag so my little neighbor can practice in the car or while her brothers are at soccer practice.

No comments: