Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Place For Everything...........

China! It's everywhere! Purchased china. Inherited china. Gifted china.
China stuffed into every available space. There were grand plans to build a cabinet in the perfectly placed niche in the dining room, but that keeps getting railroaded by things like college and hospital bills.
So the light bulb went off that maybe we should just find a deal on an old china cabinet...........maybe on craig's list! There are always people moving and getting rid of everything in their house, so maybe one of them has just the right china cabinet at just the right price. And there was.

Taa-daa! Here it is!
The nicest people had this one and were moving to Sonoma County, California to grow olives. They are clearing out and guess who was happy to get their cast offs. Now, I don't want to say what I paid for it, but let's just say it was less than a trip to the grocery store.
UPDATE:
Kari and Kijsa are having a sharing day and they want everyone to show a special spot in their home.
My style is mostly traditional, but I like to throw in something unexpected. The most cherished pieces are the ones passed to me from family, like the mirror and the plates on the tea server in the niche picture above. They were my great-grandmother's and it reminds me of her sweet smile every time I see them.

16 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Well I wish I could get castoffs like that! Looks fabulous.
Karla

Tonja said...

The cabinet is beautiful! Show us how it looks with the china placed inside!
I can so relate...I have always wanted a china cabinet, and something has always gotten in the way. So, that was one of the first things I bought for the Creek House. And I made extra sure there was the perfect place for it!
Enjoy!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Oh, oh, oh - if you ever want to get rid of that - you just let us know! What an awesome find!
Karla & Karrie

Beneath the Eaves said...

The pieces of your family are true heirlooms. We love pieces like that too. Not only do they remind us of the family, but we know they held them and cherished them too.
They are special.
Debra

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Holley, you did really well on that china cabinet. I just love seeing these older pieces finding a new home. Congrats!

And thanks for stopping by to see me.

Anonymous said...

What a great find!! Beautiful cabinet.

kari and kijsa said...

That is a beautiful find! the special mirror and plates of your grandmothers are a true treasure!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

roseroomnz.com said...

Love your stacks of china, looking forward to seeing a photo of it in that beautiful cabinet! Rachaelxo

Maria (also Bia) said...

Now you need to do a photo with the cabinet filled with all your lovely china.

I love that you bought it from someone who was leaving to grow olives in Sonoma County...how many people have a story like that?!

B. said...

Less than a trip to the grocery? I am green with envy! It is stunning!

andi said...

I have that exact China Cabinet! I bought mine in Birmingham at an antique store! I love it and I am sure you do too!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Why do women love collecting dishes/china so much??? All my friends do too. Something so quaint about them. Somewhere in blogland I saw that exact (Ithink) china cabinet painted black...maybe new knobs?? It was stunning. I'm sorry I don't remember where. However, there are those who would say it would be a crime to paint it??? Enjoy and post when it is all full of your pretties. : )
M.L.

Anonymous said...

Oh you lucky girl... I love that cabinet! You and my sister are two peas in a pod... she loves dishes !

Sandi McBride said...

Oh its beautiful...what we call a breakfront...I love it...now lets see it filled with China! SOON...I'm so glad to be back, but man I'm slow, lol!
hugs
Sandi

Vee said...

You're going to have that wonderful cabinet filled in no time. Hope that we get to see that, too!

Anonymous said...

So nice to stop by and see all your lovely dishes!
I feel the same way about treasures handed down...they are my favorite pieces at my home too.

smiles,
kayellen