Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blue Is Back


The great decorating powers that be choose colors every year that set the taste level for fabrics, paints, ceramics, and all things homey. Pottery Barn Greenwich Sofa

You see them represented in every magazine, catalog, and television show which gets the ball rolling for all of us to start buying this new stuff up and changing our homes all around. Ballard Design Home Office Collection
Since I started keeping house at the end of the seventies (only 6 months left), I got in on the ground floor of chintz florals and silk plaids. Rich navy blue and chinese red with taupe or gold were the fashionable colors and thank goodness because that is right in my wheelhouse. Mario Buatta, the Prince of Chintz

Then a few years on GREEN starting seeping in. My younger sisters in law and my sister have homes that are dominated by the green, red, gold color schemes that have been popular since the nineties. These were lean years for me as every time I needed to reupholster or paint, I struggled to find my preferred colors, but now things are changing. Ballard Design Bedroom Collection
A couple of years ago, I noticed the catalogs were adding blue tones and putting them in the back of the book. "Aha! It's coming back around", I thought. Then the Christmas issues featured blue and silver baubles and bobs..........woohoo! I'm sensing a trend. Then this summer Restoration Hardware had all blue on their cover. It's back! Blue is back! My mom always told me if you wait long enough styles come back around. Of course Mom was right. Restoration Hardware Hampshire Collection

7 comments:

Rhondi said...

Hi Holley
I am so glad to hear blue is back because I love it! I always loved Mario Buatta's design even if it was over the top busy and I still love it.
I've always decorated with what I like despite the style but it's fun to know that my color scheme may possibly be "in".
Hope you have a great week!

Tonja said...

I love blue! Every shade! But, we are using greens in our new house...it fits with the feel of the house better. Loved all the pics..especially that great daybed and cover!

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I love blue!!
deena

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Holley~ of course Mom was right... was there ever any doubt?

windycorner said...

Tonja-can't wait to see pictures of your new house.
Sandi-Momma always knows best. The longer I live, the more she's proved right.

NeereAnDear said...

Blue is one of my all time favorite colors... I especially love blue and white

Great pics

JO

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I am so glad blue is back, it's always been one of my favorite colors. I've noticed that Ralph Lauren is using it again too. Thanks so much for stopping by, Theresa