Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables. It makes the most delicious soup with a little curry and cream added. It comes alive when you roast it in a hot oven with parsnips and sweet potatoes and beets. Butternut squash even makes a good salad if you cube it, roast it, toss it with vinaigrette, and place it on some greens with roasted pecans sprinkled on top.

The smooth golden shell of butternut squash makes it a perfect fall accessory for your home. Put some in a handsome old rustic basket for a centerpiece on the table. Or put the basket on your hearth so you can see them while you're curled up on the sofa reading during a soft autumn rain shower.

3 comments:

andi said...

I am so glad you mentioned this. I have one sitting on my counter b/c I didn't know what to do with it! :) I'll call it decoration now. Do you have a good tried and true recipe for soup with one? I don't even know how to prepare it. Thanks!

Sandi McBride said...

I LOVE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP! And I love it baked and then mashed with a bit of brown sugar and salt a bit of butter butter...top with a dab of heavy cream...heaven!
Sandi

Tonja said...

Sounds so yummy...I need to make a run to the grocery store!